A couple days ago Emma woke (after her 2am grouch-fest of course!) at 8am and nursed perfectly, ate a yummy breakfast of oatmeal, prunes, and greek yogurt, napped and then absolutely positively completely without any reservation REFUSED to nurse until 3pm. I was bursting (because I didn't want to pump in case she decided to nurse), my feelings were hurt (because my thin skin tells me when she refuses me that she hates me), and I was worried that she was starving herself. Her rolls tell me otherwise, but still! So I called Aunt Abby and Aunt Myra for advice and after Emma heard us talking she finally decided after her 7 hour nursing strike to resume again before her nap. We have a gameplan for future strikes. Offer- if she refuses I pump. She misses out and we move on. Another day of offering and getting rejected every hour would be miserable. She usually refuses a feeding each day (never the same one), but to refuse ALL?! Seriously.
I wrote the doctor and his opinion is that she's weaning herself because her body wants the type of calories that food provides over what I have to offer (thanks, Doc... that really makes me feel better- I'm a sucky (no pun intended) source of nutrition for my baby now that she's crawling? Fabulous.). So he says to nurse as often as she'll let me and feed her food even if she refuses to nurse. Which I had thought- no milk? No food! Food is like getting a cookie after refusing to eat (or drink in this case) your meal. Not so, according to the doctor. I guess this means that I need to become friends with my pump again. And this means Emma better get used to getting more solids in. I just want her to be happy. And plump. May the odds be ever in my favor...
On a happy note MawMaw came for a visit last night and will be here for a week! YAYYYYYYY!!! We LOVE our visits. And Pop is coming in a day or two for a nice little visit as well. Fabulous!! We are so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment