Friday, March 13, 2015

Gwen Lauren









Gwen received and will continue to receive many hip checks due to being breech. So far her hips appear to be in perfect health!







Emma loves patting Gwen.

Papa has already mastered the art of double duty!


Holding hands...

Sister kisses...

Loving hugs...
 
We are truly thankful to announce that we were able to welcome Gwen Lauren into our family Monday night, March 9th, at 10:03pm.  I woke early Monday morning around 3am with contractions that continued throughout the day inconsistently.  They were always a minute long but varied from 10 minutes apart, to 5, to 3, to 8, to 15, etc.  They were all over the place!  Around 8:15pm I was giving Emma her bath and felt a bubble pop inside of me and warm water soon thereafter.  We found that my water had broken and we found dark meconium in it- not a tinge or brown coloration, but an actual blob.   Almost immediately after my water breaking my contractions got very intense and very close together.  We left for the hospital minutes after it happening and when I got to triage the doctor checked me and I was 4cm dilated and there was concern about finding even more meconium.  An ultrasound revealed that Gwen was breech, which we did not know.  I had planned with my doctor to labor at home as long as possible before coming to the hospital, which is what we did.  We left as soon as my water broke.  When we found out about the meconium it was distressing and the breech presentation was even more scary.  My OB finally arrived at the hospital and checked me again.  Within 30 minutes I dilated from 4cm-10cm and the labor was very, very intense and painful (more than it ever was with Emma).  The doctor said we needed to decide- try for a vaginal delivery with the understanding that her head might get stuck or the cord could prolapse or go ahead and do an emergency C-section.  All I could think of was the safety of Gwen and envisioned her getting her body out and head stuck and breathing in the thick tar that we saw.  I opted for the C-section.  From that moment on chaos kicked in.  I was rushed into the OR, Zack wasn't allowed to come, people were shouting and my labor pains were so intense.  While getting prepped for emergency surgery the contractions were continuous and I felt intense pressure and the ring of fire- just how I felt the moment before Emma was born.  The next thing I remember I woke two hours later and asked for my baby.  They told me Zack had her but that I couldn't see them until I was stable.  Once I did see them it was a joy to see Zack holding our little bundle- perfectly healthy and beautiful!
 
Gwen was 7lbs 5oz and 19 inches long.  There was concern about her hips due to being breech, but so far she is perfect and healthy.  They don't think she breathed in any meconium and her lungs were always clear.  10 long fingers, 10 perfect toes, and a sweet bundle of joy blinked at me and latched on to nurse perfectly after having to wait for her mama for two hours.  Perfect. 
 
Our followup appointment at the pediatrician revealed that Gwen is already up to her birth weight after 3 days (awesome, girlie!)!  She's 49th percentile for weight at 7lbs 5oz, 24th percentile for length at 19 inches, and a whopping 94th percentile for her head circumference.  Finding out about her little noggin makes me wonder if the section was indeed the best option- as we would've had to have fit a cord, two legs and a 94th percentile head out at the same time. 
 
It was a very intense experience but I am truly thankful God was with us every minute to guide Gwen into our world and to help her be the beautiful, healthy girl she is.
 
Emma is loving being a big sister and gives Gwen hugs, pats and kisses constantly.  What a lucky mama I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment